Wednesday 15 February 2012

Gingerboy- Valentines day edition

Hi everyone,

I've been quite busy lately so haven't had a chance to update my blog. This is a bit of a belated valentine's day post.



Happy valentines day

This year, the boyfriend decided to book a surprise dinner (I'm surprised that he was so organised. He was very tight lipped about the location and only hinted for me to save my stomach for a 6 course dinner.

Barely able to contain my hunger on our way to the surprise destination- I soon found myself standing beneath Gingerboy. I was delighted as this was one restaurant which has yet to be ticked off my culinary list.



Entrance to Gingerboy

We were greeted and led into the dining area which was lit with bright lights scattered on the walls- which I thought was quite romantic. Something which had caught me by surprise was the simplicity of the furnishings, the seats were plastic and table bare of any ornaments- not exactly to my expectation of a hatted restaurant.



Romantic lit interior

Nevertheless, we took a quick browse of the set menu for the night and couldn't wait to be enticed.



Our feast for the night

The starter was a tasting plate with 3 appetisers- steam prawn dumpling, son in law eggs (one of the famous signature dishes) and grilled lamb in la lot leaf. Each of the dishes were accompanied by an unique matching sauce, which complimented the dish perfectly.



Starter plate

Just a tip to share for the son in law egg (quite a funny name don't you think?)- make sure when you eat this- the egg is thoroughly covered with the chilli jam as this is definitely the highlight of the dish. The egg itself was wrapped in a soft chewy tofu layer and as you take one bite, the yolk just oozeeeeee out! I love my oozy eggs :)



The famous Son in law eggs

Next course was two small salads- crispy duck with banana flower salad, and coconut chicken with green bean and mango. Boyfriend and I both unanimously voted the duck was the better of the two dishes. The skin was crisp, meat succulent and warm salad gave it a good balance. The coconut chicken on the other hand was slightly bland and there were very little mangoes.



Coconut chicken salad



Crispy duck salad

Main courses were up next, first was the lemongrass and chilli barramundi in chilli rock sugar sauce. Once again, the sweetness of the sauce was the winner for me. The barramundi was beautifully tender and infused with hints of lemongrass.



Lemongrass and chilli barramundi

Second main was sesame crusted wagyu beef loin with edamame puree and chilli jam- loin was tender and melts in your mouth without even being chewed. The sauce was a little bit of a let down, the chilli jam did not come across strongly and I thought it tasted a bit like black bean sauce.



Wagyu beef loins

Best was of course saved for last- dessert platter was 3 tasting dishes- brûlée with tapioca balls, chocolate ice cream with fruits and cream custard with chocolate soil.
My favourite was the brûlée, there was 3 different contrasting flavour layers - the crunch of the brûlée, chewiness of tapioca balls and a hidden surprise of chocolate at the end.



Dessert tasting plate



Dessert 1- Brulee with chocolate and tapioca balls



Dessert 2- chocolate icecream with fruit



Dessert 3- cream custard coated with chocolate soil

We ended the night with some tea to help calm our stomachs, which were presented in cute little glass tea pots. We both felt as if we were 3 months pregnant but walked out of the restaurant with beaming smiles.



tea to end the night

However, there was one downside- the price tag! I would definitely not recommend going to Gingerboy on public holidays or "special" occasion like valentines day, as the prices charged are premium and at least double normal menu prices.

Besides that, we had a wonderful night out! Hope your valentines was also filled with much love! <3

Gingerboy

27-29 Crossley Street
Melbourne

Yum: 8/10
Price: 5/10
Service: 6/10

Gingerboy on Urbanspoon

Miss Scribbles

2 comments:

  1. I am glad that you enjoyed it Miss Scribbles :) just wish they decorated the place more with roses to make it more romantic :D

    scribble you later,
    Mr.Scribble

    lol...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good Miss Scribble Im gonna share it with my readers! :)

    ReplyDelete