Friday 13 January 2012

Friday 13th

I've never for one been a believer of superstitions, so today being Friday the 13th didn't cross my mind to be one which I should be scared of. If only I could turn back the time..

My iphone was stolen only a few hours ago, snatched right out of my very hands on the tram in broad daylight.. the same tram that I've caught since I was a high school teenager. Although I have heard rumours and stories of this particular tram being quite notorious for its crimes, I never imagined that it could happen to me.

Making my way to the city, as I stepped onto the tram and took a middle seat, I couldn't help but noticed a group of 5 or so Sudanese teenagers nearby. Having not thought too much into the situation, as there is quite a presence of the Sudanese community around the tram line, I continued to resume my usualy tram activities (to bypass time)- browsing my phone and listening to music..

As the tram reached another stop, the doors opened and before I knew it, I felt my phone being snatched violently out of my hands by one of the youths as he bolted out of the tram. Instinctively, I jumped out of the tram and ran as fast as I could after the thief, in the hopes that I could catch up to him. I didn't know what to do as I just watched him run further into my distance.. My cries out of help went unheard by passing cars and pedistrans. It was too late.. he was gone!

Shocked.. numb..anger.. upset..helpless.. lost..traumatised. The combination of all these feelings was rushing over me all at once. As I walked along the unfamiliar streets, I didn't know what to do but to find the closest phone to call for help. The first store in sight- Video Ezy. The shop assistants were extremely kind and helpful, they offered their phone and a room for me to calm down. The police came within a matter of minutes.

The police informed me that this was not the first instance of this type of crime in the area, there had been a number of recent attacks by Sudanese youth on stealing ipads and iphones. I guess not being the only victim was some consolation but certainly didn't make me feel any better. The funny thing was the police asked if I had installed the 'Find my phone app' which is an iphone app designed to track down lost iphones. Unfortunately, I didn't..

It makes me sad that there are still people in our society who would resort to such low means, I guess poverty really does force people to do unthinkable actions...
The boyfriend showed me this article http://corpau.blogspot.com/2011/07/crime-gangs-stealing-iphones-in.html which perfectly describes my situation.. If only I had read this article earlier.

Although I'm still feeling quite tramautised, the support from loved family, friends and boy friend has really helped to ease the pain. The boyfriend was really sweet, he came over and surprised me with a new iphone 4s. That was another shock in its own! I refused to accept it, I feel way too guilty! But he insists that I take his current phone and he will use the new one. sigh... sometimes I don't know what I did to deserve him.

Reflecting on the events of today, I realised that I am also one partly to blame. I should have been more careful, more assertive and took more notice of the surroundings. I'm may be too naive at times, never thinking that these situations could actually happen to me!

Sigh.... I'm not going to be a wishful thinker and be optimistic that the phone will miraculously be returned to me. But I will let this experience teach me some valuable life lessons

Note to self-
1. Be more assertive and aware of my surroundings
2. Try to limit the exposure of valuables and personal items in public environments ie. phones, ipods etc.
3. When on public transport, avoid sitting next to people who look dodgy. If feeling unsafe, just move! or sit close to the tram/train driver
4. Be more careful and less naive of our society.

Sorry if this post came across as too bitter or depressing.. just really wanted to get it out of my system while it's still fresh. what a Friday the 13th to remember.


Hopefully, next post will a happier one! :)

Miss Scribbles

2 comments:

  1. Poor J. Sorry to hear that. Your bf is really sweet btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor you!! :( An emo post!! :( i love you!

    ReplyDelete